These were the rules of Ip Man's school. They were on a marble carving. That marble carving is now hanging in the headquarters of the Wing Chun Athletic Association in Hong Kong. These are good rules to live and train by.
The Rules of Ip Man School of Wing Chun
1. Remain disciplined – conduct yourself ethically as a martial artist.
2. Practice courtesy and righteousness – serve the society and respect your elders.
3. Love your fellow students – be united and avoid conflict.
4.Limit your desires and pursuit of bodily pleasures – preserve the proper spirit.
5.Train diligently – maintain your skills.
6. Learn to develop spiritual tranquility – abstain from arguments and fights.
7. Participate in society – be moderate and gentle in your manners.
8. Help the weak and the very young – use martial skills for the good of humanity.
9. Pass on the tradition – preserve the Chinese art and rules of conduct.